Why study online?
Completing an Advanced Certificate in Teaching fully online is the perfect way to increase your classroom and teaching skills. You can do this by studying fully online.
The Certificates are fully accredited and all the learning material is available on the Learning Management System.
With multiple start dates every year, you do not have to wait for the start of a year to begin your studies.
Here is an easy to follow breakdown of how to become an online student with UFS.
You don’t have to pay for the full qualification upfront, you can pay per module.
Your teachers and lecturers will be available for you to talk to when you have questions regarding the study material which is available online.
You determine your schedule and can decide when it is convenient for you to study and work through your classes.
Which programme suits you?
The Advanced Certificate in Teaching you choose to complete will depend on the phase of students you are teaching. The programme you study needs to complement your job.
For specific details about each qualification, visit our Online Programmes page.
Advanced Certificate in Foundation Phase Teaching
Advanced Certificate in Intermediate Phase Teaching
Advanced Certificate in Senior Phase English First Additional Language Teaching
The entry requirements for each of the above are the same:
• A three‐year Teacher’s Diploma at NQF Level 5 (e.g. the three‐year College of Education Diploma), OR
• A 360‐credit National Professional Diploma in Education (NPDE) at NQF Level 5; OR
• A 480‐credit Bachelor of Education (BEd) at NQF Level 7; OR
• An applicable Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or Advanced Diploma at NQF Level 7; OR
• An approved and recognised professional teaching qualification evaluated as REQV13.
• Must be a practising teacher. Prospective students must provide proof that they are currently teaching in the selected phase and subject, and have access to an applicable classroom for the duration of the programme.
• Certified copy of ID/passport
• Certified copy of matric certificate
• Certified copy of teaching qualification
• Official academic transcripts
• Letter of recommendation from the principal
What it costs
To get a breakdown of the programme fees, please visit our Fees page.
How it works
• Fill your details in on the Apply Now page to see if you qualify for the programme.
• If you qualify, you will receive a UFS Application Form to print, fill in.
• The school principal will need to complete page 6 of the application.
• The application form and supporting documents need to be sent to the Online Enrolments team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• When your application has been successfully submitted and accepted, you will receive a student number.
• After payment has been made for your first module, send the proof of payment to email@example.com.
• Your registration will then be administered by the university, and you will get access to the Learning Management System.
Complete the Orientation Module on the Learning Management System before your programme starts, to be sure you know how to navigate the system and get your work done.
If you have been locked out of your account or the learning management system, contact us and we will help you get back in.
• If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 0800 233 724 (toll-free).
• Always provide your name, surname, student number, ID number and contact number, and give an outline of your enquiry.
• You can also visit the Contact Us page and leave us a message and we will get back to you.